Who we are
International Widows and Orphans Fund (iWof) was formed out of the concern for orphans in one of the world’s most dangerous places to live – Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). It started from an e-mail of an orphanage Director to a friend, telling the story of 38 orphans being taken into the woods to hide from rebel soldiers who terrorised towns in eastern DRC.
iWof was incorporated in July 2013 and received Charitable Status registration with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) in February 2014. All Canadian donations are tax deductible.
We assembled a team of people with a heart for orphans and the skills to lead all aspects of the Charity – legal, accounting, web presence and marketing materials, correspondence, money management, and governance. Our role is to raise funds in support of the orphanage and in partnership with the local team, care for these orphans so that they have the hope of a bright future.
Our Vision is to partner with orphanages around the world where we supply resources in support of what they are already doing. We recognise that they have the local knowledge to minister to children with no family to take care of them. We see it as a true partnership.
Our decision making process involves:
- Find a credible orphanage operator and build the relationship
- Establish visibility through a website, printed materials, presentations, etc.
- Establish credibility by linking to a credible Canadian, CRA registered Charity
- Take care of their basic needs through monthly financial contributions
- Facilitate the education of the children and leaders
- Introduce them to other NGOs operating in the area that will further assist in developing the children into the purpose that God has for their lives.
We recognise that each party has its role to play. As a registered charity, we are required to control and direct the funds that we supply, however, it is through true partnership that we find out from the local leaders the best way to support these vulnerable children in the context of the local culture. We will ensure total transparency and accountability for the funds that we supply, but we will trust our local partners for their expertise to care for the children.